Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 21:55:48 EEST

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > Well, on the level I'm discussing today, we don't actually
> > care. However, at other levels of the API, my worldview says:
> >
> > A Port represents a single channel of audio data available for either
> > input or output.
>
> This means that a plugin that have N (variable) channels as input and 1
> channels as output cannot exist?

No it does not.

> > And please remember that we discussed all the issues surrounding
> > multichannel ports when we discussed LADSPA a year ago. Unless there
> > is a genuinely new point of view on this, I consider that issue fully
> > resolved.
>
> You've some kind of attitude to intimidation, do you know? ;-)

I think Paul is feeling the same frustration that many of us are - many of
the issues that you are raising have been dealt with before and some
consensus achieved.

Karl

> --
> Abramo Bagnara mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org
>
> Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023
> Via Emilia Interna, 140
> 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy
>
> ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org
> It sounds good!

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |