Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a port/buffer proposal
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 23:11:04 EEST

>> * how about the connection between i/o ports inside a Plugin?
>>
>> thats handled differently. this is always a 1:1 connection, and can
>
> ^^^^^^
>No comments up till now, but here I find myself genuinely lost...
>Surely, how the plugin gets from his M input ports to its N output ports, can
>be left
>to the imagination of the plugin.
>Why do we need a 1:1 in/out mapping of the ports ?
>
>Looking at your proposal, this restriction is not needed ?

Sorry, that wasn't well worded.

No, you're perfectly correct, how a plugin gets data from an input
port to an output port is totally private and entirely up to the
plugin.

However, I can think of at least one rather useful and
efficiency-requiring plugin (the Bus plugin) that would really want to
be able to tie the two ports together in a zero-copy 1:1
relationship. It therefore seems worthwhile providing a simple method
to ensure that this happens correctly.

>Great, so in this sophisticated model, we could do very good buffer reuse.
>As you stated further in the proposal, when every connection is 1:1, only
>one buffer would be needed.

... and in-place processing is possible, don't forget that. still, i
haven't seen a LADSPA plugin yet that couldn't do in-place.

>Now I see here a possibility for confusion.
>At least i was confused when I read your code.
>It has to do with what you consider the input or output of a connection.

I know what you mean. How about source and destination instead? These
seem more unambiguous to me.

--p