Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 21:24:21 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >It seems to me that to focus on implementation before to have defined an
> >external design and to have made the needed political choices is rather
> >sick and IMHO a waste of time.
>
> Let me give you an example that might show why I don't think its the
> wrong order, sometimes.
>
> In our extensive discussions about GUI's for LADSPA plugins, there is
> the natural solution: plugin writers create a GUI using any toolkit
> they want, and it works. There is really no doubt that this is how it
> should be.
>
> The problem is that it will never(1) work. We've established that
> quite firmly. The reasons why concern the low level details of how
> modern X Window toolkits work, the details of Xlib's multithreading
> capabilities and the nature of the toolkit event loops. So, any design
> that ignores these kinds of details destined for failure.

This thing amazes me... I was under the strong belief that GUIs run in
separate process space. I'm missing something?

> Its one thing to describe what we want, and its something else to
> describe a design that we can actually implement. Many of my questions
> seek to ensure that we're coming up with a design that can be
> implemented.

Often I think you're going too far... that's my problem.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!