Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 09:43:16 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Yes, we've spoken enthusiastically about this here, but its still not
> >> the ideal situation, since it implies the need for some IPC method to
> >> control the "DSP" part of the LADSPA plugin from the GUI process (and
> >> vice versa).
> >
> >I've proposed an API for that in my soundbox.h, I suppose you've noted
> >it.
>
> I assume you mean this part:

> int soundbox_control_set_property(soundbox_control_t *control,
> soundbox_control_property_id_t property,
> const soundbox_control_property_value_t *value
> );
> int soundbox_control_get_property(soundbox_control_t *control,
> soundbox_control_property_id_t property,
> soundbox_control_property_value_t *value);
> int soundbox_control_query_property(soundbox_control_t *control,
> soundbox_control_property_id_t property,
> soundbox_control_property_info_t *info);
>
> Well, its OK, but I have a feeling that the aRtS method of using an
> IDL might be a better approach to this. I'm not sure at this time, and
> if we allow a multi-process model, its not so important anyway (not
> that its unimportant, just not critical).
>
> One simple example of something thats hard to do with an API like the
> one above is to set a "property" that requires a data structure rather
> than a value. If soundbox_control_property_value_t doesn't allow for
> the relevant data structure (and how could it if the object is
> internal and specific to a particular soundbox), then there's a bit of
> a problem.

Nope, I've already thought about this:
- a well written API is organized in layers (and then we can have use an
IDL on top of my API). This is the reason why I prefer to have a minimal
API now.
- nothing prevent soundbox_control_property_value_t to accept structured
type
- property info may be related to callbacks function to load from a
library by GUI process.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!