Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more fundamental questions
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 17:05:52 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> >Nope, I've already thought about this:
> >- a well written API is organized in layers (and then we can have use an
> >IDL on top of my API). This is the reason why I prefer to have a minimal
> >API now.
>
> The way I read this Abramo, it feels as if you haven't used an IDL. An
> IDL allows you to define new types and operations on those types, as
> well as functions to carry out those operations by via direct function
> call and RPC. Because soundbox_control_property_value_t is a fixed
> type (no matter how flexible), I don't see it can be used "below" an
> IDL. IDL's typically convert the (binary) data types into bytestreams
> when they are moved across an RPC boundary.

IDL (Interface Definition Language) may be used to define methods to
manipulate specific controls. What I meant is that code generated by IDL
compiler may call lower layer methods (soundbox_control_property_
{set,get,query}). In this way we don't lose access to fastest way.

It's more clear now?

> >- nothing prevent soundbox_control_property_value_t to accept structured
> >type
>
> I don't understand this. The only way I can see to do this is by
> specifying a property as:
>
> void *ptr;
> size_t size;
>
> which seems to negate the entire point of "properties" to begin with.

Property ID specify how to interpret data inside
soundbox_control_property_value_t (that's probably it's an union with a
last resort fallback as you've written above).

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!