Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] questions to be resolved
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 22:34:05 EEST

That is quite easy. Lets say someone has a synth unit that they have
programmed and one of the things they do is add/remove plugins during
playback. Or better yet, maybe its a vocal recording and at different
parts of the song different plugins are used. Now of course this has alot
to do with the implementation of the audio application. Since we refer to
this as a real-time system, then I think these things could be eventually
used real time, ie, live processing and such. Here you may make changes.

I don't understand why not move towards a system where pops/clicks don't
occur :) I think Abramo's suggestion at least in theory is very valid.

Again, my suggestion:

"Since the time required for changes in the signal graph can/could cause
 an xrun situation, use a dual graph system where the graph is switched
 only at a point where it is ready to be used"

Rick

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >Honestly, I'm not even sure of what is being discussed in terms of
> >"stalling the graph" - are you referring to inserting and deleting
> >plugins^H^H^H^H^H^H^H soundboxes?
>
> That, and creating new connections between them.
>
> > Give me a minute or two, and I can
> >probably think up some reason why someone will want to do that without
> >clicks.
>
> My stopwatch is running. I'll adjust for email latency :) Oh, your
> answer should address why its a problem for them to carry out the
> operation before starting playback/recording. Thanks :))
>
> --p

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |
| Senior Design Engineer +---+ +----+ |