Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: laaga, round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: laaga, round 2
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 23:21:44 EEST

   Hi!

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 07:04:47PM +0200, Alexander Ehlert wrote:
> I have once tested artsd and I was quite dissapointed. I started artsd,
> one visualization plugin (this thingie with all the light bumps for fft,
> dunno exactly) and then just played a wavfile. At first the whole wav was
> copied into the memory of artsd or wherever and then what happened
> afterwards was all but performant. I don't think that a Celeron 300Mhz
> with 128MB Ram is underpowered for playing a wavfile :)

Well, the wav loader for artsd is just badly written. It's not that you
/have/ to load files in one step (and probably it's not a smart idea for
large wave files, I know ;). The mp3 decoder for instance proves it can
be done better. Visualizations in noatun in realtime work quite nice.

   Cu.. Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany