Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 03:31:59 EEST

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I get 150-250usec (yes, microseconds) roundtrip through 100mbps switch.
> is this on a previously quiescent connection (TCP or UDP) ? my
> impression is that once things get rolling round trip times are pretty
> good, but that moving a packet or two when there's been no traffic in
> a few msecs produces much worse numbers. my impression may be wrong.

That was on a rather busy ISP backbone.

You got me interested in worst case numbers, so I fired up a full duplex
100bt ttcp session of ~9500kbyte/sec both ways between two hosts through a
full duplex 100bt switch, then pinged several hundred packets from a
third host also on the switch. All the hosts were moderately loaded ISP
servers.

Worst case latency was 4.973msec and average was 1.195msec. Thats round
trip mind you.

This is all super-cheap-ass hardware, too. The PCI 100bt cards are $15/ea
and the 24 port full duplex switch was $400.

I seem to recall someone claiming that 100baseT was "much too slow" for
audio?

-Dan