Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Andre Majorel (amajorel_AT_teaser.fr)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 18:01:04 EEST

On 2001-05-24 13:53 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> even if larger switched networks are unusable, it would still be a
> nice option to be able to connect two audio boxen via a dedicated
> 100mb ether network to use their combined power for audio
> applications.
> at 20 US$ per card and 10$ for a crosslinked cat5 cable, this is a
> dead cheap solution for studios.

I'm definitely interested in this. I've been thinking about a
distributed audio synthesis/processing protocol where events
(MIDI messages) and audio data travel over UDP or TCP.

The domain of application is LAN, not WAN. I assume the
pessimistic figures mentioned earlier in this thread are for a
WAN, not for a dedicated LAN.

What I have in mind in the case of distributed synthesis is a
master server that dispatches events to slaves, gets audio in
return and does the mixing.

--
André Majorel <amajorel_AT_teaser.fr>
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/