Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer_AT_cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 01:03:15 EEST

   Hm, but the packets get sent in order, don't they ?
   So when there is a collision, the ethernet card waits to resend the packet for
   which a collision happened, for some random time (exponentially increasing in
   case of another collision). But that cannot mean, that a packet that is after
   this packet in the queue, gets sent before this very packet is succesfully sent,
   or is it ?

   Please explain more if I'm wrong.

That corresponds to my understanding, though I could easily be wrong.
I think the scenario I suggested -- packets could get out of order due
to a dropped packet -- is possible, though.

Even if it does turn out that packets always arrive in order in a
single network segment, it would be a bad mistake to assume this in a
protocol.

--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002