Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 13:27:13 EEST

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:03:53AM -0700, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> Of course, you're right. Dropped packets are a problem. In TCP they get resent, so
> they can be out of order. In UDP, I think everything that arrives (*if* it ever
> arrives), arrives in order. Of course, that's part of the reason why TCP causes more
> overhead than UDP (the computer the data gets sent to, has to acknowledge having
> received the packets, and after some time, if there has been no acknowledgement,
> packets get resent etc.). But I think that it is not too bold a statement to say that
> in single segment LANs, you won't have dropped packets.

Sropped packets aren't an issue. On the kind of private, switchless
network that you would have to use, a sropped packed would represent
something severly wrong (broken hardware probably).

The big problem, is that for whatever reason it can take >70ms for a
packet to arrive, I can't think why it might take that long, but that is
totally useless.

Even the minimum time of 1ms is much too long.

- Steve