Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] It's time to vote (n. 1)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 17:04:51 EEST

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 03:07:08AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> > On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:15:05AM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
> > > If you want to network low-latency audio I think you must find a network
> > > solution with a reliable physical layer.
> > Hear, hear. Ethernet just isn't designed to send low latency streams.
>
> You can get 100% guaranteed latency and bandwidth with IP over ATM.

I take it you haven't actually used ATM ;) Its a right pain in the ass.

Our system suffers from chronic problems when using large numbers of
tunnels (a common situation), and the hardware is rubbish. Plus no-one
supports it anymore. Were having to strip out all our ATM kit and replace
it with gigabit.

That said, for single point-to-point streams it might be OK, I might
borrow some of the ATM hardware when it gets checked and test it. There
must be loads of businesses throwing it out around now, but its kinda
large, you wouldn't really want it in your house. Would be OK in a studio.

- Steve