Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low Latency Kernel Combos

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low Latency Kernel Combos
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 03:00:16 EEST

Darwin Marcus Johnson wrote:

> 0. What distributions are you running?
> 1. What Low Latency Kernels are people running?
> 2. What did they compile them with?
> 3. What glibc is this with?
> 4. What ALSA won't burn you too bad?(I don't use an RME interface)
> 5. When will DeMuDi begin to emerge from the vapor for testing?
>
> My Config?
>
> Mandrake 8.0
> Linux 2.4.3
> gcc 2.9.6
> kgcc / egcs-2.91.66
> glibc-2.2.2-4mdk
> No ALSA yet

I also have Mandrake 8.0. I'm not currently using a low-latency kernel
though. I tried Linux 2.4.4 but with or without the low latency patch I
experienced some serious scheduling problems. I'm using reiserFS so
perhaps thats the kernel code in question. Basically system would stall
(X cursor and all other running programs) for a very noticeable time
when doing simple things like compiling programs. I even compiled the
kernel with Mandrake kgcc when I discovered that 2.9.6 wasn't
recommended. Since I haven't found a low latency patch for 2.4.3 I
haven't bothered, I would use it if I found one though. I still would
like to delve into the 2.4.4 kernel a little to see if I can find the
slow down, I need some sort of Linux profiler. I guess I could either
try Andrew Mortin's low latency profiling programs or SGI's Linux kernel
profiler (their patch is still at 2.4.3 though).

I use ALSA 0.9.0beta4 myself, but I don't have a whole lot of ALSA
specific applications (MusE and the Smurf Sound Font Editor which are
both up to date with ALSA 0.9.0beta4). I'm sure most applications will
be catching up soon though, as the ALSA api is supposedly stable. I
still switch back to OSS every once in a while (just a matter of
restoring my OSS /etc/modules.conf, unloading ALSA modules with a script
and "modprobe sound" again) when I want to play quake 2 or 3 (they crash
with ALSA). Besides those 2 games I have not had any troubles with OSS
emulation (Descent3, Shogo, Heretic II etc). Lates..
        Josh Green