[linux-audio-dev] LAD website based on PHPNuke and mailinglist proposals ...

From: Benno Senoner (benno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 18:23:22 EEST

Hi folks,
I've just finished to catch up a few hundreds mails on the lad list.
:-)

I've read the nice news about the new mailinglists and I think it is good to
split up the list in a developers and users list.
(perhaps even a third one: -users for advanced users and -newbies for the
very linux audio newbies (eg the ones having trouble to invoke a "make" :-) )

Regarding the LAD site, we need something that is more manageable than the
current static site on linuxdj.com. (where Joern and the others have done a
nice job).

Last year I was fiddling around with the NOPE engine trying to enhance it but
it turned out to be too limited for my taste so I gave up.
But in the meantime I've found another story server (slashdot-like) which
works very very well and where I think that it offers most stuff we need to
manage a community driven protal.
It is called PHPNuke (see http:///phpnuke.org)

I have it already running on a little P2P newssite managed by me and few
friends of mine

see here:
http://www.abctella.com

(try to visit the links, download , faq and forum section to see what kind of
functionality is offered by the engine)

the neat thing of PHPNuke is that you can manage the entire portal through a
simple web interface without the hassle of doing ftps, writing HTML pages ecc.

The look and feel is costumizable (colors and logo), you can create plain
pages, you can add as many text boxes (on the left/right side) you want , you
can manage FAQ sections, a link database (with categories), a download
section , create and manage forums and other neat stuff.

The site can have serveral admins that can manage it via web.
As mentioned a few months ago, it would be nice if every interested party
could contribute to submitting news and/or maintaining a section on the site.
(eg. ALSA folks submitting ALSA news, Andrew Morton announcing a new
lowlatency kernel ecc, Dave Philips posting news about new audio apps, Joern
doing his usual nice LAD stuff)
The fun for this system is that everyone of us has only to provide a little
bit of content which is not that time consuming as managing an entire site.

I can set up such a site on linuxaudiodev.com within a few days (the time
that the DNS changes take effect).

This time I will not fail to deliver the promise (like with the NOPE stuff)
since I have the PHPNuke stuff already running and a new install means only a
copy operation, so no big deal)

My personal opinion is that although an engine like phpnuke does not give you
infinite flexibility, it's more than adequate to fulfill the job of providing
a site (easy to manage) that acts as an interface between developers and end
users.

Let me know that do you think.

cheers,
Benno.