RE: [linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis? question for Paul Davis

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Support code for synthesis? question for Paul Davis
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 05:53:52 EET

>i suppose that just in passing i should mention Quasimodo
>(http://quasimodo.org/). i say in passing, because quasimodo is more
>or less a dead project. it had ambitious goals (much more ambitious
>than yours, i think), but there were some bad design/procedural
>decisions along the way and i painted it into a corner from there was
>no particularly pretty escape. some parts of it may be resuscitated in
>connection with ardour.

Does this mean that the quasimodo will not be developed any further? If so,
I do have a tangential question. I have been trying to compile ardour for
the longest time, but the only place I was able to find the pdb, soudfile,
and other ardour-needed lib sources was on the ftp.quasimodo.org. I've
compiled them all successfully, and even the ardour (latest cvs) compilation
went well, yet when I start the ardour it segfaults without any errors being
reported (all configs are in good standing). This, in combination with your
above statement makes me wonder as to whether the libs I found on the
quasimodo's ftp site are up-to-date, and whether they are the cause of the
unexplained segfaults I've been getting (since all the code compiles clean,
though having quite a few warnings, which I'd seriously doubt would be the
cause of segfaults).

I do understand that you have a busy life and have very little or no time to
deal with this kind of stuff, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could
just simply tell me whether I am compiling the right versions of the libs
and/or could they be the potential reasons behind the segfaults I've been
getting. In addition, since ardour cvs does not contain any libs (all of
them are empty folders, at least for me), could you please point me in the
right direction as to where to obtain the latest up-to-date libs for ardour.
Thanks a lot!

P.S. Apologies for cluttering other LAD members' inboxes :-(

Sincerely,

Ico Bukvic, composer, computer consultant & audio designer
http://ping.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
ico_AT_fuse.net
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre