Re: [linux-audio-dev] where to find a comprehensive overview of DSP coding including basics and everything else?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] where to find a comprehensive overview of DSP coding including basics and everything else?
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:50:02 EET

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Ivica Bukvic wrote:

> The problem is
> that there is little or no comprehensive single knowledge source related to
> developing audio stuff (i.e. anything from synthesis to complex soundfile
> and/or real-time audio manipulation),
>
> I am using this oportunity
> to ask you fellow linux audio developers, if you have any good pointers as
> to where should I start looking, in order to have the most efficient and
> productive process of learning.

        Subscribe to the music-dsp-list:
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~glmrboy/musicdsp/music-dsp.html

        Check out the music-dsp-list source code archive:
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~glmrboy/musicdsp/dspsource.html

        Check out the dspguru Web-site too:
http://www.dspguru.com/

        To get a grasp on the concepts (instead of just the code) for
this "audio stuff", these books are recommended:

Computer Music: Synthesis, Composition, and Performance
by Charles Dodge, Thomas A. Jerse
Hardcover 2nd edition (July 1997)
Schirmer Books; ISBN: 0028646827

The Computer Music Tutorial
by Curtis Roads
Paperback (January 1996)
MIT Press; ISBN: 0262680823

        I haven't read this book but it is highly regarded as an
introduction to DSP:

Understanding Digital Signal Processing
by Richard G. Lyons
Hardcover (October 1996)
Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201634678

        If you live somewhere with a good public library system, don't
forget to look around for these books. If you live close to any
universities, don't forget to check their libraries also.

        When you're ready to start coding, start with the OSS API and then
move to ALSA. I'd suggest the OSS Programmer's Guide to start:
        http://www.opensound.com/pguide/index.html

-- kevin at kevindumpscore dot com