[linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 20:44:26 EET

Abramo Bagnara <abramo_AT_alsa-project.org> wrote:

> This would not imply a "major" rewrite: the API and the kernel code has
> been thought for that.
> You need simply to have different snd_pcm_tick_set functions (see
> pcm_lib.c).

That's interesting. So you think that that would be the prefered way
to do low latency I/O with alsa?

./latency says:
Tip #1 (useable latency with large periods, non-blocking mode, good CPU usage,
        superb xrun prevention):
  latency -m 8192 -M 8192 -t 1 -p

I am correct if I think that these numbers (8192) could be a lot lower
using the RTC for polling?

Anyway, off to home know, let's see what cvs update gives me tomorrow ;-)

Maarten