Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Driver for Creamware Luna II

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Driver for Creamware Luna II
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 16:04:32 EET

>is this also a list for audio device driver programming?

sometimes.

>My problem is that there is no Linux driver for my
>Creamware Luna II although Creamware announced one in 1998.
>
>And I can't develop audio programs before my soundcard
>works with Linux.

you'd better buy another soundcard. Creamware have never displayed any
serious interest in Linux. i had a private meeting with them at AES nyc in
1999 - they talked optimistically about me doing drivers for them, but
then the BeOS crew walked into the room and Creamware basically threw
me out so that the BeOS guys didn't see my nametag (which said Linux
Audio Systems). The last laugh was on me, I suppose, given what has
happened to BeOS. Creamware were supposed to get the information to me
to start work on the Pulsar driver, but totally failed to follow through.

>Can anyone give me a tip on how to write a device driver
>for Linux with reverse engineering of the Windows 98 driver.
>(I have a dual boot system with Linux and Win 98 SE).

you cannot write a device driver for the Creamware h/w. it requires
information that Creamware are not willing to provide. because the
card has memory mapped registers, you cannot easily reverse engineer
it - there are no io instructions to trace, for example.

in general, if you want to know about writing linux device drivers,
you should read "linux device drivers" by alessandro rubini. as well
as being one of the best programming how-to books published, its
available on-line (at o'reilly's web site).

>Or is it possible to run device drivers with WINE?

no. wine has no support for anything other than a "sb16-like" audio
device.

--p