Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 22:51:27 EET

>I'd like to use JACK, but it still segfaults on me when I use it
>with fltk. (Debian potato)

well, at least i know why now.

shmat(2) claims to try to find an area in the unmapped range (1-1.5GB)
when not given an address to try.

unfortunately, it doesn't do that. instead, it ends up using an
address that overlaps with the range used by the dynamic linker
(ld.so). so, the JACK server ends up creating a segment for ports that
is in a "normal" address range, and it tells the client to attach it
at the same address.

in the client, it gets attached right "over the top" of existing
mappings from other shared libraries, and kaboom! your app is toast.

i'm researching the problem now. i suspect this may have to do with
the changes that were done for sysv shm back in kernel 2.3 ...

--p