Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: motet_AT_zoom.co.uk
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 21:47:24 EET

hi paul,

Paul Davis wrote:

>i've mentioned the SCRIME tools ProSpect and ReSpect
>before. they are not plugins, and are not even particularly
>well designed in the sense that one them uses a kernel
>module to accomplish something that SCHED_FIFO would do.
>but they are higher quality than anything else i've heard
>except some Roland h/w.

great, thanks heaps! i will take a look at them :)

>>with any luck, we might be able to hack the code a little
>>and use it to synchronise input from two soundcards
>>simultaneously... i can give more details if you are
>>interested.
>
>that would be unbelievably crazy to do with these tools,
>which are aimed at musical quality transformation of sound.
>multiple sound card sync can be done with much simpler
>algorithms than you use for time stretch and compression.

ahh, right..., thanks for that info! :o)
i'm not actually the one who will be doing the coding - do
you actually know of any apps / source code that might be
able to help us do multiple sound card sync?
we will be running two SB cards under ALSA, trying to get 4
channel live input recorded - its a project for an
"underground" recording studio - where of course budget is
very limited, so Linux is definately going to be a big help :o).

many thanks

-miriam

miriam rainsford
contributor - mstation