Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 23:36:47 EET

>i'm not actually the one who will be doing the coding - do
>you actually know of any apps / source code that might be
>able to help us do multiple sound card sync?
>we will be running two SB cards under ALSA, trying to get 4
>channel live input recorded - its a project for an
>"underground" recording studio - where of course budget is
>very limited, so Linux is definately going to be a big help :o).

i've said this many times before, but i think you're making a serious
error even attempting this.

first of all, a "recording studio" can't run on SB cards - they're
crap. second, if you want 4 channels of input, you should buy a 4+
channel card. there comes a point where the amount of programming time
spent solving all that hassles related to this problem "costs" (by
some metric) far more than appropriate h/w.

you should be counting programmer time as worth at least US$30/hr even
if you don't actually pay them. solving this problem reliably,
especially *outside* of ALSA or OSS, will take a reasonable programmer
at least 4 hours to get right in a robust fashion. there, i just
"gave" you an extra $120 to spend on a decent soundcard :)

--p