Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: motet_AT_zoom.co.uk
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 01:00:07 EET

hi again

>i've said this many times before, but i think you're making
>a serious error even attempting this.

maybe we are
... or maybe we're just working on building something rather
unorthodox and curious... ;)

there's no problems with finding a programmer or spending
time on coding... perhaps i should have mentioned before
that the person doing the coding will be the person building
the machine, so that isnt a problem :).

what i guess we're wanting to do is something quite
experimental, we dont have any other facilities (otherwise
we probably would just go out and buy a 4 input card :). its
one of those quirky no-budget projects that linux seems to
thrive on...
we're also well aware that its going to be difficult, and
not exactly perfect. but that's half the fun... ;)

i decided to post here just because i'm curious to see if
there does happen to be any source code about for synching
multiple inputs. i think our project could well be an
interesting development. if we happen to come up with
something that is practicable... then it might well be
useful to the linux-audio community too...

yes, i would much prefer to just have the facilities to go
out and buy a high-spec card... but i wonder how many other
people are running multiple low-spec soundcards under linux
 (i already am) and could use them for synching 4+ inputs?

the idea we've had so far, is to get some form of spread
spectrum generator, and create a small sync pattern encoded
into the four inputs, using a spread spectrum card, with the
frequency shifted down to 48k or something. then after
recording 4 inputs, running something to stretch and
compress each signal to the original time base that was
externally generated.

but, if there's already software or source code being worked
on to do this sort of thing - or to correct synch in
multiple inputs by any other means - then we'd be very
grateful to know about it, so we won't end up having to
reinvent the wheel.

yes, its weird, and its unorthodox.. but it might just work ;)

cheers

miriam

mrainsford_AT_mstation.org

Get your own zoom email - click here - http://www.zoom.co.uk/