soundcard sync was Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: soundcard sync was Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: motet_AT_zoom.co.uk
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 03:10:15 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

>i don't mean to sound mean, or nasty, or anything like that,
>but i just think this is stupid.

>i can't remember if i've told people on the story of when i
>worked on an automated film sorter.

okay... fair enough, i take note :)

i'll do something simple and rephrase the question: i'm now
looking for info on synchronising soundcard input...
i'll leave it at that, without discussing our project
further as this doesnt seem to be the time or place for it.

i do feel rather that your response has been more than a bit
harsh though.

firstly - its not me commissioning the project. its
something that is *already* being worked on - i'm making
enquiries because i happen to be subscribed to l-a-d, and i
thought this might be a friendly place to seek info of a
fairly high technical nature - which has proved impossible
to find on web searches.

secondly - the person doing the coding is doing this as a
personal project. he may well end up writing things for
linux later on, but thats far from what he's working on at
the moment. this project is something of his personal
interest, to see if it will work.

*i* am not wasting his time - it is a project he is
*already* working on for someone else, for which i was
seeking some info on his behalf. if anyone is wasting time
it is he himself, but he is *keen* to waste this time and
explore the issues of multiple soundcard sync.

i personally run two higher spec cards than SB's (a Turtle
beach pinnacle, amongst others). i run two cards in my
machine, both configured under linux - and i would be
interested to see if i could get this sort of thing going on
my machine too. and the SB's he is running aren't the usual
little crappy ones, they are, at least the SB Live higher
spec cards. other than being 16bit there's not an awful lot
of difference between them and my 24bit Turtle Beach
pinnacle, which apparently has a better reputation...

personally i think its an interesting issue.
i've changed the topic of this thread, as it looks like
we're just going to have to agree to disagree about the
project. but i remember you mentioned that there *are*
existing algorithms for synchronising multiple soundcards -
it would be very helpful if anyone could give us any
information on these.

and of course... if it *does* work... we'll let you know! ;o)

-m

miriam_AT_iriXx.org
www.iriXx.org

Get your own zoom email - click here - http://www.zoom.co.uk/