Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK CVS is now up, along with an empty web site

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK CVS is now up, along with an empty web site
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 04:43:56 EET

>I have tried the CVS release on my setup with ALSA 0.9.0beta9 on my
>Trident NX. I get this when starting jackd:
>
>voyager:/usr/local/jack/bin# ./jackd
>creating alsa driver ... default|64|48000
>here
>ALSA: cannot set fragment count minimum to 2 for capture
>ALSA-MCD: cannot configure capture channel
>cannot load ALSA driver module

>I tried upping the fragment count to 3, 4, and higher, same error.

I have a trident NX, so i'll try this at home this evening. i suspect
there must be a bug in the transfer of code from libaudioengine into
JACK, since libaudioengine works on my trident (or did :)

>arecord works fine on my setup BTW. I also made some small fixes so
>jackd honors the --prefix, if supplied, patch coming up. Does it make
>sense to allow a "playback" jack only, if setting up recording doesn't
>work?

well, lets be clear about something here. the issue you've encountered
has nothing to do with JACK per se. its all to do with the driver
module. it just so happens that its the only driver that exists and
the one that is loaded unconditionally right now ;)

if you wanted to create a playback only driver, thats fine. it would
just register input ports, and everything else would look the same for
the rest of the world. which reminds me: jarno made some suggestions
months back about port aliasing that need to be taken up so that its
possible for an JACK client to say "connect my outputs to the default
physical output ports". right now, there's no way for an application
to do that by itself without knowing the names of the ports
involved. although there is an argument that all connections should be
user driven, this would make just to complicated for everyone - the
simplest jack client would require the support of a patching 3rd party
client that did jack_port_connect() on the ports of the simple client
and the driver/client.

consider patching jackd.c to allow run-time specification of the
driver module to be loaded, and think of a way to pass it arguments.

but setting up recording should and will work ...

--p