RE: [linux-audio-dev] Project XEMO, MusicXML

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Project XEMO, MusicXML
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 15:28:54 EET

From a quick look at the web page, it looks like the XML "standard" is not
supported by Finale, but rather there is a convertor from MusicXML to Finale
(quite a big difference - I don't think that Coda has signed onto this
format). I have seen at least a dozen XML formats for symbolic music
representation over the last two years and they have all been either
incomplete or just not caught on. This is a harder problem than it seems at
first. Supporting basic music notation is fairly straightforward, but
providing all of the functionality to support complex, modern notation is
difficult. See Guido for a format that does a good job at the harder parts
of notation - http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/AFS/CM/GUIDO/ - and my
project for an application that uses it - http://mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/omr/.

Karl

Karl MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University
karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu | 410-659-4440
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac