RE: [linux-audio-dev] Project XEMO, MusicXML

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Project XEMO, MusicXML
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 20:01:19 EET

Today Karl MacMillan wrote:

> I have seen at least a dozen XML formats for symbolic music
>representation over the last two years and they have all been either
>incomplete or just not caught on. This is a harder problem than it seems at
>first. Supporting basic music notation is fairly straightforward, but
>providing all of the functionality to support complex, modern notation is
>difficult. See Guido for a format that does a good job at the harder parts
>of notation - http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/AFS/CM/GUIDO/ - and my
>project for an application that uses it - http://mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/omr/.

thanks for the links and thought. i guess which format to use is very much
up to your background - for example if you drive MIDI devices you'll
probably use something close to MIDI. CMN for another is obviously
well-suited for the subtleties of actual score setting.

something i do like a lot about XML is the verbosity. i find CMN for
example almost unusable (though still very attractive) without frequent
looks at the manual. another good thing about XML is that the syntax
is so easy you understand it without a manual at all. cannot say much
about Guido yet but i suspect people like me will find it harder to read
and/or write than XML for these reasons.

tim