Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks
From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux (tnt_AT_linux.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 03:41:41 EET

Hello,

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 14:19, Paul Davis wrote:

> i know that gstreamer (and perhaps GLAME too) appear to have worked
> these issues out. if so, thats great, and i hope that their designs
> can be incorporated into jackd at some point, so that (1) if there are
> independent substreams and (2) there are more than 2 processors then
> it could support multiple audio threads. there are some vague ideas
> present in the existing code base that point in this direction.

Well, I don't think GStreamer has completely worked things out yet.
GStreamer is based on the GObject object-system. (The same one used by
Gtk+, GNOME, etc.) And although this system has the possibility
of runtime=discovery of "properties" (of these objects), nothing
like that exists for "methods". Which makes things extremely difficult
to move things to other processes. Not to mention that threre are a
whole bunch of other problems with doing IPC with GObject based stuff
too. (Like GObject is _NOT_ thread safe. The type system is not a
global thing that is the same across all process, but is infact
different for each and every process. And other stuff too.)

Alot of GStreamer, so far, seems to be locked in one process; although
you still have threads.

I'd like to see the GStreamer API changed a bit. And hopefully I can
help fix things. (But I'm still learning it.)

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca
     ckrempea @ alumni.sfu.ca