[linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: more bad low latency results
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 19:16:44 EET

> I've used this setting:
>
> echo 6 > /proc/sys/vm/vm_scan_ratio
> echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/vm_mapped_ratio
> echo 4 > /proc/sys/vm/vm_balance_ratio

Uuhh... I don't have these files...
$ ls /proc/sys/vm/
bdflush kswapd overcommit_memory page-cluster pagetable_cache

Did I miss something in my kernel configuration?

> That's really weird.. How about to measure the time of read/write
> responce in latency.c so that we can know at least whether it's
> related with the kernel latency.

It's a different problem. The alsa capture adds random values at
random places (not periodically as for a I can see) in a way that
it sounds like a dusty vinyl record. This doesn't happen when I
use arecord, it only happens with the alsa-lib/test/latency. I write
each captured buffer to disk, and the random values are clearly
visible (and hearable). It happens both in non-block and in poll mode.

Maarten