RE: [linux-audio-dev] Audio dependency rendering - an idea

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Audio dependency rendering - an idea
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 00:53:37 EET

[...]
> I've heard from at least one guy on the csound list who works heavily
> with make, by breaking the piece into many short sections and many
> sub-orchestras, and using a simple mixer orc/sco to combine everything
> and arrange the sections. This means that large pieces that would take
> all night to render can be worked on in near-realtime.
>
> and of course, for backing up or emailing such a monster, "make clean"
> is really handy!
[...]

Absolutely - it's a great way to work (I've been doing this for years). You
can drop in bits of algorithmic composition, use all sorts of tools, change
an underlying audio sample and have all dependent files rebuild, use
parallel processing on SMP boxes and generally scale the project, run "make
clean" and pack the whole thing down to a nice concise archive. Thoroughly
recommended.

--Richard