RE: [linux-audio-dev] embedded sound api.

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] embedded sound api.
From: Torrey Hoffman (torrey.hoffman_AT_myrio.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 20:56:06 EET

Frank Neumann wrote:

> pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any useful tips on how I can set up a
> system to boot
> > without x and immediately start up a single recording api?
>
> According to kernel sources, init/main.c, you can just pass an option
> "init=..." to the kernel startup command line and it will fire up that
> program instead of the default, "/sbin/init". That should get

Yes, that works, but for most systems, even embedded ones, there
are a lot of little things you need to do before actually starting
your application. It depends "how embedded" you are. If you
have a hard drive, filesystems, a swap partition, or networking,
you probably need to set them up before your app starts.

Use the "busybox" version of init, and you can do all of that in your
/etc/inittab, but still skip all the overhead of processing a hundred
bash scripts in /etc/init.d that the average Linux desktop does.

On the other hand, if you boot from a ROM or Flash file system and have
no networking, you can indeed just have the kernel run your app directly
at boot.

Torrey