Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 02:34:43 EET

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 07:09, Tobias Ulbricht wrote:

<snip>

> i wonder: we hab some different latency test programs, "latencytest" from
> Benno and the "latency" from alsa, and maybe others?
> - maybe we should categorize them and/or choose only one which will do the
> job. If there is a bug in the latencytest program you discover after some
> weeks, you'd have lots of unusable graphs/data.
> - Also some people did additional "stressing" by doing a "find . ".
> - Either a new option for that or say "please exclude other stresses
> during test".

I think we should create a specific test program that is used always
(based on latencytest). A version of the test suite could be supplied in
any data submitted to the database. If someone needs a test for some
other aspect of latency (nic smashing test, cdrom, etc) we could always
add it if its something commonly wanted by users.
I've created the database in MySQL for this kind of functionality.
Basically there is a table for "tests" and then another table for the
results for each stress test called "results":

CREATE TABLE results (
ID INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
TestID INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
HasData ENUM ('FALSE', 'TRUE'),
TestType ENUM ('X', 'proc', 'diskread', 'diskwrite', 'diskcopy')
NOT NULL,
Overruns INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
MaxLatency FLOAT NOT NULL,
CPULatency FLOAT NOT NULL,
FragLatency FLOAT NOT NULL,
Between2ms FLOAT NOT NULL,
Between1ms FLOAT NOT NULL,
Between2tms FLOAT NOT NULL,
Between1tms FLOAT NOT NULL,
INDEX(ID)
);

So tests could easily be added to the database simply by adding another
ENUM to the TestType field. Something that I should probably add to the
results table is fields for the parameters of the test. For instance
with the disk tests the file size in MB. So perhaps:

Param1INT INT,
Param2INT INT,
Param3INT INT,
Param4STR VARCHAR (255),

Would cover most tests and any we might add.

> [snip]
> > XWinVersion X windows version
>
> - are framebuffer still in discussion, i.e. "do not switch fb consoles
> during test"?
> - maybe a flag, if you did it under X, fb console, or old text ?

Yeah that might be nice to have. I guess if you didn't run it in X, it
simply wouldn't run the X test. It might be nice to have a latencytest
config script that asks questions for which tests should be run, etc.
This could then be saved in a file for further use.

> > VideoDriver Video driver string (NVIDIA-1.0-1541, X, etc)
>
> [snip]
>
> - what about laptops. Because people explicitely asked for it, maybe we
> should have a different category for them?

Thats probably a good idea. Perhaps just a flag would be sufficient.

> > My preferred web development platform is probably PHP/MySQL. I probably
> > have some time to work on something like this so lets start discussing
> > details :) Would be nice to have a list to discuss this project, should
>
> <personal> since I still shiver when people use PHP, MySQL, Wiki,
> you-name-it , because I've no clue what's that all about, I'd like to know
> what you did, when you did it :)
> </personal>

Sure. I'm just starting to set it up. Hopefully I can go through with
the project, but I have so many other projects too. It gets overwhelming
sometimes. I'm going to try to get something useful going. I'll be sure
to post to this list if and when I have something.

> > Josh Green
> > Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)
>
> Hope you had a nice time around the world after the LinuxTag, Josh.

I did, it was an awesome trip through Europe. I hope to return again
someday :) Where are those LAD LinuxTag pictures that Frank Neumann
posted? Perhaps it was never mentioned on the LAD lists? I can't find
them in any archives at least.