[linux-audio-dev] Synching audio and midi?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Synching audio and midi?
From: Bill Bland (wjb_AT_netpd.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 20:39:19 EET

Hello all,
        I'm about to buy a Yamaha QY100 midi sequencer and I'm wondering
about the possibility of using it with my computer, with the QY100
handling the midi stuff and the PC doing audio.
I was thinking perhaps the easiest way to do this would be to compose
something on the QY100 and upload the midi data onto my PC. Then I'd use
something like ardour (and/or gdam) do the audio. Next I'd like to be
able to synch together the ardour/gdam/whatever playback with a simple
midi dumper that just sends the captured midi back to my QY100. This is
the bit I'm not sure about.
I develop in C/C++/Java for a living, so I *should* be able to write any
simple stuff that's not already there to make this work, although I don't
have as much free time as I'd like to work on stuff like this.
Does anyone know of any APIs (alsa? jack?) or any existing programs that I
might be able to use to get me started? Obviously since I will have the
QY100 for midi editing I don't want a full-blown midi/audio
sequencer. Just some way to synchronise midi and audio output would be
great.

Thanks in advance (sorry if this is a faq or just a stupid question!)
Best wishes,
        Bill.