Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 00:22:26 EET

On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 10:29, D. Stimits wrote:
> Steve Harris wrote:
> >
> > Found this while looking for something else.
> >
> > http://www.archos.com/uk/products/product_500201.html
> >
> > 6gig HD, mp3 recorder. Analogue/spdif input (no preamp or phantom)
> > USB. 30-160 kb/s. Costs E340 (~$340)
> >
> > Not really competition for the linux based thing people were discussing
> > here, but interesting none the less.
> >
> > - Steve
>
> I noticed it has a USB connector. I don't know to what extent it is
> used, maybe it is used as a simple file transfer port. If it does not
> require a specific o/s or program to copy over the USB port, there are
> keychain sized USB hard drives out there now which are o/s independent
> as well...it'd be interesting to know if one of these keychain devices
> could be used to extend or download directly to the mp3 device. And if
> not, certainly a small embedded linux controller could be created as
> nothing more than a USB mp3 storage area network device. (not that I can
> afford one, but hey, it's interesting)

Updated information, looks like I answered my own question. Take a look
at:
http://bjorn.haxx.se/isd200/

Which is linked off of the Archos technical support page with a link
called "JukeBox Recorder - Linux Driver" :) Its cool to see companies at
least noticing that Linux does exist. Of course you still don't see it
mentioned in product requirements that much.
So this means that the JukeBox Recorder will act just like a USB hard
disk device, so easy transferring of files (not just MP3s).. Kind of
cool! Of course I haven't figured out if I can get one for the US, I see
(EU, AUS, JP and UK) I don't think any of those cover US power supplies?

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)