Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 02:06:01 EET

Josh Green wrote:

> On Thu, 2001-11-22 at 10:29, D. Stimits wrote:
> > Steve Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > Found this while looking for something else.
> > >
> > > http://www.archos.com/uk/products/product_500201.html
> > >
> > > 6gig HD, mp3 recorder. Analogue/spdif input (no preamp or phantom)
> > > USB. 30-160 kb/s. Costs E340 (~$340)
> > >
> > > Not really competition for the linux based thing people were discussing
> > > here, but interesting none the less.
> > >
> > > - Steve
> >
> > I noticed it has a USB connector. I don't know to what extent it is
> > used, maybe it is used as a simple file transfer port. If it does not
> > require a specific o/s or program to copy over the USB port, there are
> > keychain sized USB hard drives out there now which are o/s independent
> > as well...it'd be interesting to know if one of these keychain devices
> > could be used to extend or download directly to the mp3 device. And if
> > not, certainly a small embedded linux controller could be created as
> > nothing more than a USB mp3 storage area network device. (not that I can
> > afford one, but hey, it's interesting)
> >

> Updated information, looks like I answered my own question. Take a look
> at:
> http://bjorn.haxx.se/isd200/
>
> Which is linked off of the Archos technical support page with a link
> called "JukeBox Recorder - Linux Driver" :) Its cool to see companies at
> least noticing that Linux does exist. Of course you still don't see it
> mentioned in product requirements that much.
> So this means that the JukeBox Recorder will act just like a USB hard
> disk device, so easy transferring of files (not just MP3s).. Kind of
> cool! Of course I haven't figured out if I can get one for the US, I see
> (EU, AUS, JP and UK) I don't think any of those cover US power supplies?

I wonder what filesystem type is used for the partition? Anyway, as far
as power goes, I would think that if it uses batteries, then it has an
AC-to-DC converter, and those tend to be available generically for any
possible DC output value. So if you knew the connector and
voltage/current requirements, it might not matter if the AC adapter it
comes with is for 50 Hz and non-US voltages. This assumes it is battery
operated, I have no idea if it is so, but I would suspect it with any
portable mp3 or disk device. It might be tricky if they have a
proprietary connector on it, and even if they don't, they might say it
voids the warranty using someone else's adapter.

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com