RE: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] Portable HD audio recorder
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 05:22:21 EET

Interesting thing, there is something else along the same lines but much
better since it supports stereo CD-quality input, and that is Compaq
iPaq pocketpc which can run linux OS as well since it has flashable rom
(for more info on linux on this particular pocketpc check:
http://pris.pocketlinux.com/)

The reason why I bring this one up is the fact there are several
companies out there who do custom modifications for the pocket pc
(supported with software in the wince version only, though -- any
volunteers for linux? :-) ) so that it can have a high quality audio
input. Unfortunately, it is currently limited to mono only since the
ipaq's dsp chip is designed that way, but that does not mean that one
could not build a "sleeve" for it which would contain a high-quality
audio i/o cf slot (for additional memory storage, i.e. 5GB microdrive or
a CF card) and a dsp chip that would support stereo. Here are some url's
for this stuff:

www.pocketrec.com
www.pocketrekorder.com

I've started the thread on this a while ago on one of the pocketpc sites
trying to find out more about this, and these two were the only
constructive leads, but then some person added the fact that they
already have a working version of a sequencer/sampler for iPaq (which is
pretty amazing in itself). To check out the thread go here (you'll find
the url for the sequencer stuff there in one of the last posts):

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=41905&t=93
59

The conclusion I've come to is that these above-mentioned solutions,
although rather formidable, are somewhat clumsy, and I still believe
that the sleeve solution would be much better. The only question is who
wants to make one :-)?

Also, there are some other rather impressive sleeves which offer
"multimedia" capabilities (the reason for quotations is because the
sleeve is called multimedia, but lacks any form of audio i/o, so I am
baffled as to why you'd want to call it multimedia) such as s-video i/o
(imagine running pd/gem on iPaq lol), vga and remote for Powerpoint
presentations. Again, I am not sure how supported this will be in linux,
but it should definitely be something to look into. URL for this one is:

http://www.lifeview.com.tw/web_english/home.html

Hope this will fire-up some interest in this field :-) since I've been
waiting for a usable way of making my iPaq a portable high-fidelity
recorder/editor for quite a while now.

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, computer consultant & audio designer
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
ico_AT_fuse.net
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre