Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack question
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 14:51:04 EET

>Followup: the same 'bug' is also responsible for misconfiguring my audio
>hardware for jack. The "default" alsa device apparantly allows for all
>possible pcm_hw parameters. Since jackd tries the 'high quality'
>settings first, which will *always* be satisfied with "default" it never
>gets the correct settings for my hardware (S16_LE, 2 channel, INTERLEAVED).
>
>After 'fixing' this I now get sound from jackd!!! Woohoo :)
>
>The question is, who is at fault?
>
>- Me, for not knowing (or caring) about an .asoundrc?
>- alsa-lib, for allowing these impossible settings?
>- jackd, for being too optimistic?

thats an interesting question. a rather hard to answer one. what we
could do is this: make jack open "hw:0,0" as the default device rather
than "default". this would then bypass the alsa-lib plug device, and
force the user to deal with the actual hardware. there is some merit
to this, since in a JACK system, none of the clients care about this
stuff.

i think alsa-lib's use of the plug layer for "default" is a good
choice - it means that you can play or record in just about any format
from this device. but since JACK is in some ways providing similar
functionality through a rather different design, it seems foolish to
try to do this twice ...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

--p