Re: [linux-audio-dev] memory management

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] memory management
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 23:54:44 EET

On 25 Nov 2001, Christophe Baillon wrote:

> Hi,
> I am about to begin a project of a sound editor written in Ada. I've got
> a question about memory management of samples.
>
> To treat big samples (40Mo for example) is it judicious to load the
> whole file in only one buffer ?
> If i want to insert an other sample of 5 Mo in the medium of the buffer,
> should i cut the sample into a linked list of block memory, or should i
> make a realloc() and a displacement of data in the block ?
>
> Is there interesting link on the web about algorithms used by sound
> applications ?

Rather than starting just another project I'd suggest you look at some
of the promising projects and contribute to one of them. You're
probably looking at the concept of EDL, also basic theory of virtual
memory management will help you with the large file issues.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_student.uni-tuebingen.de>
PGP: 2E829319 - 2F 83 FC 93 E9 E4 19 E2 93 7A 32 42 45 37 23 57