Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] AlsaPlayer 0.99.52-cvs20011126-jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] AlsaPlayer 0.99.52-cvs20011126-jack
From: Andy Lo-A-Foe (andy_AT_alsaplayer.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 00:58:17 EET

> the build process and also added support for the JACK audio server.

Some notes...

I've only tested this with a modified jackd alsa_driver that does
S16_LE, 2 channel, interleaved output. I can't test it on 24-bit
hardware for now.

I'm getting very poor performance from jackd. Even on my, somewhat
beefy, 1.33MHZ Athlon box I get horrible xruns from 10ms up to 150ms.
Anything below 512 frames per interrupt is unworkable. As soon as I connect
to jackd the xruns start. Running with -R -P 99 has no effect
(2.4.16-pre1 + low latency patches). The same code runs rock solid at
256 x 3 fragments when outputting to alsa directly (blocked I/O). It is
most likely not my process() call since the same happens when
connecting jack_simple_client. Running with "default|128|44100" will
happily xrun every bdflush :-/ .. I'm using an UW2 SCSI disk

I was also under the impression that one could connect multiple clients
to the same Output port and have the data mixed automatically. Is this
true? (I haven't read through all the jack code yet).

Andy