Re: [linux-audio-dev] SCHED_FIFO versus SCHED_RR

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SCHED_FIFO versus SCHED_RR
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 01:25:25 EET

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Phil Burk wrote:

> I have heard reports that SCHED_FIFO has several bugs. I have searched the
> web and read many posts about this but there are still unanswered questions.
>
> Q: Does SCHED_RR work better than SCHED_FIFO? Fewer bugs?

i just read that SCHED_FIFO was discovered broken in 2.4.15, but i use
2.4.12(-ac3-pe) and it works (as well as earlier 2.4 kernels).

i've read somewhere that SCHED_RR has more bugs than SCHED_FIFO.
does anyone know if other unixes can use SCHED_FIFO with non-superuser
privileges?

> Q: Can I safely use the value from sched_get_priority_max(SCHED_FIFO) or
> should I use less?

i don't know much more than the sched_setscheduler man-page and my results
in using SCHED_FIFO, but the latencytest program uses
sched_get_priority_max(SCHED_FIFO) [ = 99 ], pd seems to use 98 for the
child and 96 for the parent, and jmax uses 96 for watchdog_low, 98 for
watchdog_high, and 97 for fts.

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'