Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] AlsaPlayer 0.99.52-cvs20011126-jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] AlsaPlayer 0.99.52-cvs20011126-jack
From: Andy Lo-A-Foe (andy_AT_alsaplayer.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 03:42:05 EET

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:47:21PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> if they do not happen without a client, it doesn't have anything to do
> with the core code that handles ALSA etc.

Right.

> that points to something something more like (a). i'll download
> alsaplayer tonight and try it out on my machine. that should provide
> some clues about what is and is not causing the problem.

I also increaed the fragment count to 3, from 2. Works better on UP I
think.

> one thing, however. can you try connecting to hw:0,0 and see what
> happens then? i doubt it will make a difference, but i'd be
> interested ...

andy_AT_phobos:/usr/local/jack/bin$ ./jackd -d hw:0,0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|64|48000
ALSA lib conf.c:3218:(parse_args) Unknown parameter 1
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such
file or directory
ALSA lib control.c:570:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0,0
control open "hw:0,0" (No such file or directory)
cannot load ALSA driver module

Hmm, no ctl device for hw:0,0 ?? I'll dig into alsa_driver to see
where/why it fails.

> yep. any number can connect to the same port. if you run
> jack_simple_client twice, thats what's happening then, for
> example. both instances are outputting to the same ALSA output port.

Okay, is jackd doing clipping? I.e. does it ensure that output stays
between 1.000 and -1.000 ? All hell breaks loose when I connect multiple
clients to the same ports here. Garbled output, and probably some memory
overwrites since jackd usually segfaults after 3 or 4 connects. I'll do
some more debugging.

Andy