Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack files
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 02:59:30 EET

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> i would imagine that porting any callback-driven app would be a lot
> simpler than porting JACK. probably by an order of magnitude. on the
> other hand, there is only one JACK and ... oh, wait a minute, scratch
> that argument :)

Paul, I don't understand that last bit. Are you saying that "yes, it
would be easier to port JACK instead of many apps," or that "Ha! JACK
isn't all there yet." Or both?

> >And apple says on their page, " If you are dealing with professional
> >audio, and have already developed a powerful audio engine, the Audio HAL
> >is the missing piece that will bring full life to it. "
>
> well, yeah. just like ALSA would too. except they have CoreAudio
> working, mostly, which is slightly more than we can say for JACK right
> now.

So I could port ALSA-lib to OS X or CoreAudio to Linux? Somehow, writing
a driver for JACK seems easier.

Was JACK intended to be Linux only? It might be nice to share it with the
BSD folks. And from there it isn't too much of a stretch to OS X. (I'm
not considering latency issues on other platforms)

Taybin