Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack files
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 01:00:10 EET

>> OTOH, given the existence of CoreAudio on OSX, porting JACK seems a
>> little strange.
>
>Do you think it would be simpler to port a JACK application instead of
>porting JACK? My ultimate goal is to run Ardour on OS X. Latency be
>damned!

i would imagine that porting any callback-driven app would be a lot
simpler than porting JACK. probably by an order of magnitude. on the
other hand, there is only one JACK and ... oh, wait a minute, scratch
that argument :)

>And apple says on their page, " If you are dealing with professional
>audio, and have already developed a powerful audio engine, the Audio HAL
>is the missing piece that will bring full life to it. "

well, yeah. just like ALSA would too. except they have CoreAudio
working, mostly, which is slightly more than we can say for JACK right
now.

--p