Re: [linux-audio-dev] about hdparm (and csound)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] about hdparm (and csound)
From: Peter Surda (shurdeek_AT_panorama.sth.ac.at)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 23:14:38 EEST

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:18:05PM -0500, Christopher Deckard wrote:
> i found on this page:
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/schedlat.html#ddt
> where it says, "Don't run hdparm. It chews 50 milliseconds".
> Could someone talk about this?
I think you are misinterpreting this. It means that if you type
hdparm -blahblahblah
it has negative impact on the latency, hence you should not run it often.
Having it in initscripts is usually enough.

> when there is access to the hdd, there is a noticable drop out.
Do you have DMA on?

Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek_AT_panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.