[linux-audio-dev] about hdparm (and csound)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] about hdparm (and csound)
From: Christopher Deckard (chrisd_AT_icns.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 21:18:05 EEST

i found on this page:
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/schedlat.html#ddt
where it says, "Don't run hdparm. It chews 50 milliseconds".

Could someone talk about this?

I have the 2.2.17 low latency kernel (in RPM) format running on my aptiva
(266 K6) with a latency of ~8ms (buffers at 96bytes), and it works great,
but mainly because there's not really any need for disk access, for when
there is access to the hdd, there is a noticable drop out.

I'm using Csound in realtime mode with --sked. I've been recommended
against using --sked, could anyone here talk about this as well, by chance?

all the best,
chris deckard
saint louis mo
http://www.radiopenny.com