Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 16:15:12 EEST

>(gotta face the fact that we, at least in US, live in litigatious society --
>Broadcast2000 being the living proof of that).

a recently published book, whose author was interviewed on NPR, claims
that this idea that the USA is particularly litigious is in fact
false, and the result of the way the media covers certains kinds of
litigation. specifically, she claimed that the US is, statistically
speaking, no more or less litigious than most other "western"
countries. we have a very large population, but the per-capita rate is
actually about the same.

the author of broadcast2000 has been utterly elliptical in his claims
about litigation, has never (AFAIK) answered any questions about
clarifying his concerns.

>purpose. Believe me, if anyone from the commercial world even starts
>considering Linux for a multimedia app port, they will give up real fast if
>they won't be able to find one place on the net that will be capable of
>answering all their multimedia questions in a fast and efficient fashion.

That's not what i've heard when i've talked to steinberg. but perhaps
it would be different for "smaller" companies. Heh. Yesterday, I was
looking at a 1986 issue of Keyboard magazine. It had a small ad for
"Steinberg Music Software", run by a US importer.

>case. Thus, commercial software developers will suddenly realize that in
>order to create software for Linux OS, they won't even have to worry about
>licensing commercial ASIO or E-WDM drivers for their software to perform
>well.

Can you tell me one piece of commercial audio application software
that licenses drivers? Or licenses anything, for that matter? The only
thing I have heard of are companies that make h/w supplying different
drivers (e.g. the giga api) to support applications better.

       They will have that already built into the OS for free! Just imagine
>the repercussions of such developments! Running Sonar, or Cubase on Linux,
>in combination with an already strong pool of existing high-quality free
>audio apps. That would simply be incredible!

Too bad none of them could talk to each other. Uh. Guess I should do
some more work on JACK, right ?

--p