Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: DAVID G MATTHEWS (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 23:38:12 EEST

The facts are that stats alone are not going to convince people to go
Linux. You have to remember that musicians as a whole are an extremely
conservative bunch. Many of them out there still swear by 2-inch analog
tape! Stats about latency are quite honestly not going to convince
anyone, except a few geeks who are probably already running Linux for
non-music/audio apps. Most music/audio people will use what their friends
use and what they saw advertised in Electronic Musician or EM. To give
you a general idea, I recently bought some gear from a music dealer. The
salesperson was extremely nice, but was utterely confused when he asked my
platform of choice and I said Linux. I obviously know plenty of other
Linux audio users out there, and the numbers will certainly increase with
time. But to a lot of people, Linux isn't even a blip on the radar.
For my money, this has nothing to do with a lack of apps, let alone
technical inferiority. It's just that it's unfamiliar. Linux audio
people I know tend to fall into two camps: those who got into Linux as a
general platform first, and then started using it for music, and those
academic music people who were always into Unix (CSounders, CCRMA types,
IRCAMites, etc.)
So I don't think a massive propaganda campaign is going to do the trick.
The situation we're in is one that the IT people already faced a few years
back: namely, how do you convince a fundamentally conservative group of
people that something new is good, especially something free and new
(remember, a lot of musicians/studio engineers think nothing of paying 7
grand for a ProTools rig)? Also, and equally importantly, how do you
convince them that learning a new O/S, especially one with a forbidding
reputation, is worth their time? (Citing the virtues of open source does
not usually work.) Keep in mind that their are many people out there who
have never replaced their Atari ST or Amiga because they know one program
inside and out and do not want to learn another!
Linux is definitely the best OS out there technically, and the number of
good apps for audio is growing. I already think that we blow any other OS
out of the water in the realm of software synthesis, and once ardour
matures we're going to have a rocking DAW (JACK is going to help a lot
here.) But don't count on that, or on latency statistics, to convert the
masses.
-dgm