Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 12:26:07 EEST

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 03:51:39PM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Is anyone going to shoot me if I advertise the best best case latency?
> Should I put a banner on the LAU-guide that says you can get 0.75 msec
> Full duplex latency or should I tell the truth that we can only get 2.6
> msec latency? Actually I'll do both. But before I do is 0.75 msec the
> best best case?

Please, please don't do this. Mis-information is bad, and
purposely spreading stuff which you know is false is even worse.

Think about how you would feel if you were new to Linux, and a
friend told you "Yeah it can get 0.75msec latencies!" "Really?"
"Yeah!" ... and a month later, after you go through all the
processes required to set up a linux box, and find out that you
never ever get below 2.6ms, (s)he says to you "Oh, yeah, 0.75ms is
the best case, 2.6ms is more like what most people get". "So how
do I get 0.75ms?" "Oh, well you have to buy this hardware to do
it, and have a processor over 1.5GHz, and you have to run it in
single-user mode, and you also can't run X because that floods the
PCI bus for too long, and the program that you want has to be
optimised for it too." You won't be left with a very nice
impression, and you'll start resenting the Linux community as the
whole, the bunch of liars that they are. Don't fight false
marketing with false marketing.

> I have many muso friends who are very interested in getting a Linux
> system running. The hard part for them is finding someone who can help
> them through the first few baby steps.

So help them with the baby steps. Don't tout Linux as the be-all
and end-all solution when it's not (yet).

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save