Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 13:24:59 EEST

>> Is anyone going to shoot me if I advertise the best best case latency?
>> Should I put a banner on the LAU-guide that says you can get 0.75 msec
>> Full duplex latency or should I tell the truth that we can only get 2.6
>> msec latency? Actually I'll do both. But before I do is 0.75 msec the
>> best best case?

>Please, please don't do this. Mis-information is bad, and
>purposely spreading stuff which you know is false is even worse.
>
>Think about how you would feel if you were new to Linux, and a
>friend told you "Yeah it can get 0.75msec latencies!" "Really?"
>"Yeah!" ... and a month later, after you go through all the
>processes required to set up a linux box, and find out that you
>never ever get below 2.6ms, (s)he says to you "Oh, yeah, 0.75ms is
>the best case, 2.6ms is more like what most people get". "So how
>do I get 0.75ms?" "Oh, well you have to buy this hardware to do
>it, and have a processor over 1.5GHz, and you have to run it in
>single-user mode, and you also can't run X because that floods the
>PCI bus for too long, and the program that you want has to be
>optimised for it too." You won't be left with a very nice
>impression, and you'll start resenting the Linux community as the
>whole, the bunch of liars that they are. Don't fight false
>marketing with false marketing. .

I hear you. But it would make quite a good impression if we explain this
concept as easily as clearly as possible.

Currently I have just got Best Case Latency
                                2.6 msec Full duplex

Where the 2.6 msec Full duplex slides in from the right to the left very
quickly. It is neat but I know we could come up with a much funkier
concept which could hopefully explain a few ideas at once.

Now what I'm thinking of is a little story that tells the viewer what
the reality of DSP is and that Linux has the fastest response.

So ideas please. What should we be saying to the public?

The ideas I have so far consist of 0.75 msec is possible if you are a
freak and 2.6 msec is possible if you know what you are doing. Other
useful things to tell people are that the software giants routinely lie
to us about their products capabilities, Gnu software creators don't,
Linux is bloody cool and using it is like playing the most powerful
computer game while actually being able to contribute to the future of
humankinds cooperative development. Oh yeah and M$ sucks a big fat one
and the apple is rotten at the core.

Anyone want to add anything else?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.

"Fighting for peace is like fucking for chastity". Ex NZ Army Signalman David Weir