Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about OpenML? Some questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about OpenML? Some questions
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:57:27 EEST

>I've been checking out OpenML[1], and I was wondering what, it could mean to
>linux audio development?

it looks largely irrelevant to me. or to put it another way, its
relevant in the same way that ASIO is relevant: it might shape the h/w
designs that some manufacturers use, but nothing more.

i also note that:

    The "ML" API controls video and audio devices with an I/O model
    based on the foundation of Digital Media Software Development Kit
    (dmSDK 2.0) from SGI

dmedia is not callback based the last time i looked. its not viable
for close integration of disparate applications that wish to
communicate with one another rather than with a hardware device (or devices).

>Is OpenML a "universal" media driver uberprotocol, to simplify driver issue
>and to have a single interface for audio video etc devices?
>
>Should OpenML be used with JACK to provide media h/w drivers?

JACK doesn't care what device API is used. Neither do its
clients. Nothing in the emerging JACK API says anything about this,
and nothing in the emerging JACK API looks anything like OpenML, or
OSS, or ALSA, or DMedia.

>And while I'm at it, can JACK transport other than audio signals, and
>at another clock rate (say video)?

In theory yes. The current reference implementation isn't complete,
and so in practice, no. This will change soon. Note, however, that
there is only one reference clock signal in a JACK system. If other
clock rates are not integer multiples of the reference clock, then its
difficult to make things work correctly. This is almost certainly true
for audio/video integration.

>If and how could it be fit into LADSPA or JACK? Or should OpenML be the
>graph-host and host LADSPA plugins (so you may get hardware benefits)?

LADSPA and JACK are completely orthogonal to one another. LADSPA can
exist without JACK, and vice versa. What they share in common is no
more (or less) than they share with every other callback based media API.

--p