Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access
From: Son of Zev (sonofzev_AT_labyrinth.net.au)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 13:50:04 EEST

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:51, Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Son of Zev wrote:
> > At this stage I am unaware of any precedent to this kind of claim. The
> > claim against mp3/p2p software was an issue of music copyright and the
> > illegal distribution of it - however no one ever sued anyone for making a
> > recordable tape deck or video player.
>
> Hmmm. While it isn't exactly a lawsuit, isn't this exactly what SCMS is
> all about? Banning hardware that is even *capable* of being used for
> digital IP infringement.

Good point but shortly after release they (all major hardware producers) had
to release gear capable of stripping the SCMS code so that producers of music
could copy their own work (early pro cd burners (standalone audio only) would
write everything with SCMS and send it down the s/pdif output. Then a law was
brought out that standalone converters weren't allowed to be produced they
needed to serve another function (say converting coax to rca - isn't that the
ideal device for stripping samples from domestic digital hardware??) .

SCMS was the bane of the professional side of the industry as would be any
type of encoding (look up some old (early 90's) audio mags and follow the
discussion ...... someone with some money should take up the argument that as
the media is fragile and impermanent (well looked after vinyl and analogue
tape will still last longer than digital media) we should have the right to
make our own backups and this restrictive encoding infringes this right.

Ultimately the analogue output of any device can be recorded and with good
enough hardware at a reasonable quality...... if an encoding slows down sales
of a device (more likely to affect audio than video it seems... mind you dvd
hasn't killed video at all not until it can record) then the thought will be
reversed or changed as was with SCMS.

INteresting though though ....

Allan